Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Scorpions, oh my!!

Oi, tudo bem!!! Como vocês estão???
This week has been much better than the last, a lot of stuff happened, I´ll try to remember it all! Out here in the field is crazy, how the time passes is really weird. In the MTC, the common phrase was the days are long, and the weeks are short, but out in the field, its like that only times 10. Every day feels pretty long, but it is crazy to think I have been here for 2 weeks already! As much as has happened, it's still a crazy thought. The language is coming along a little better, I think. It is still really hard to understand people, and it is so mentally draining to try to focus all day, but I´m picking things up every day. And every day I get more used to the mission lifestyle. About culture shock... yeah, I would say culture shock definitely happened for a while. Before I had gotten into the field, all I thought about was Curitiba, and the thought didn't really cross my mind about serving outside of the city. Of the 180 missionaries in my mission, I think only 50 or so are outside of Curitiba, so it was pretty rare to be called here. But here in Prudentópolis is very different than Curitiba. In my last email, I think I called it ghetto, but I dont think that was the right word for it, its more just like poverty. The central part of the city is fine, it has a few nice parts, but pretty much everything surrounding the city center, is pretty poverse (I don't know if thats a word). A lot of people live in tiny, tiny cement or brick houses, and they are usually one or two small rooms. It´s not too uncommon to see a family´s couch and bed in the kitchen. It was kinda interesting when I first got here, but I am more used to it now. Every other Monday, we get lunch from a sister in our branch called Irmã Eva. She is a nice lady and all, but to be honest.... the missionaries always dread those Mondays. She is probably the poorest sister in the branch. We always eat two plates though, to be polite. On Monday we ate at her house and she served us Fejão (its just black beans and rice, we have it EVERY single meal, but its usually pretty good) and we had this chicken stuff that tasted really undercooked. It was all kind of cold, and really did not taste very good, but we just smiled and tried to enjoy it. By the time dessert came around, we were all kind of naushious (idk how to spell it anymore) but then she brought out dessert, it´s called arroz dose, which is just rice with sugar milk poured over it. It usually isnt the best dessert, but its usually okay, but with hers.... it... was not. The rest wasn't made well, and the milk was lukewarm, and tasted really, really weird. We have no idea where she got it. We kinda had to muscle it down. I felt kinda sick for the next two days, so hopefully I didnt get a parasite or something haha. But it´s all good.
The people in the branch are great. There are a few really standout people that are just the best. We had about 50 people at church on Sunday, which is a whole bunch, and thats two weeks in a row that we had fifty, so its awesome!! It really seems like the ward is growing. We need an average of 80 people for 3 months to get a chapel, so that's our goal, but its gonna take some hard work. But we will get there eventually.
We still try to get out with Fernanda´s family, its more difficult now cause she got a job. Her parents definitely could get baptised, the only problem is that they smoke, and they aren´t married. In Brazil, getting married is a huge issue. It cost about 250 reais to get married, and that is just too much for some people, so they just don't get married. But Fernanda´s parents have been together for a really long time, they just arent married. But it will happen, we have faith. They love the church, and really want to be baptised.
Thats so awesome to hear about Skyview, I cant believe they made it that far, that's awesome. And with letters, I havent gotten any yet... We were in Ponta Grossa yesterday and we picked up mail from the Zone leaders, but I didn't have any, I was really expecting some, so it was kinda disappointing, but its okay. I just hope people wrote the right address down haha. For money, it finally came in last wednesday, so i have had money this week, it was a huge relief to get it. We get 150 reais every two weeks, I´m not really sure how much that is in american dollars, but I think its sufficient for our needs. We don't pay our rent, so thats all for food and buses and stuff. Its been hard this week because we´ve had to go out of town a bunch, and the buses are expensive.
Hmmm... I´m trying to think of any other cool things that have happened this week. A bunch of stuff happened, but I´m having trouble remembering. I´ll have to write down stuff this week so I can remember next time haha. Yesterday we got to go to Ponta Grossa, which is a big town close to Curitiba, and we stayed at this one companionships apartment, it was so run down. The rumor is, the apartment in Prudentoplis is the best in the mission, to make up for how hard it is here in this area, so we were really shocked when we saw the apartment we stayed in at Ponta Grossa. We had only been there for 3 minutes, and we saw a scorpion walk across the floor, it was crazy. Oh yeah, we also did a divison on Monday, thats when two companionships switch for the day, so I was with an Elder from Irati, another small town close by. His name is Elder Harper, he is really cool. We met a lady who let us into her house, and we taught the first lesson, and she really seemed to accept it, we even invited her to be baptised on the 18th of December, and she said that she would if she recieved an answer of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, it was so cool. It never works out easily like that, so it was really exciting. Hopefully it goes well we will visit her on Saturday.
Anyways, I´m outta time, so I will talk to you next week!!
Até mais!!
Love, Elder Trevisanut

Victor emailed pictures but he took them in super high quality so I will post after resizing them.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment